Preparing for Your Orientation Advising Session
The advising process works best when you are prepared ahead of time. Before you attend your orientation advising session and register for classes, please consult the steps below.
- Complete the Math Placement Test.
- Complete Placement Tests if planning on taking French, German or Latin languages.
- Log into MyCharleston prior to Orientation and be certain to bring login information with you to your session.
- Explore the Academic Services Tab in MyCharleston, especially the Academic Planning Box.
- Review the General Education Degree Requirements.
- Review Program of Study Worksheets and Major Roadmaps for majors that interest you.
- Review the course requirements for different majors in which you might be interested by creating What-If degree audits in Degree Works. You can access Degree Works via the Academic Services Tab in MyCharleston.
- View course descriptions and requirements in the Undergraduate Course Catalog.
- Be sure to have all Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and other College level test results sent to the College of Charleston.
- Be sure to have all final Official College Transcripts sent to the College of Charleston. This includes transcripts from colleges for dual credit courses.
- Make a list of potential courses you are interested in taking.
- Turn off your cell phone or place it on silent during the session.
After orientation, you will be assigned an academic advisor in the AAPC who will help you develop an academic plan that is based on your personal and major goals.