Preparing for Your Semester Advising Appointment
- Complete the Academic Advising Homework (PDF) as you prepare for your mandatory advising appointment.
- Be prepared to discuss course options, address academic problems or concerns, make decisions about the upcoming semester, and explore major/minor options.
- Review your degree audit in DegreeWorks. The DegreeWorks channel is located on the Academic Services tab in MyCharleston.
- Review the course requirements for majors in which you might be interested by creating What-If degree audits in DegreeWorks. You can also visit Program of Study Worksheets and Major Roadmaps or search the undergraduate course catalog.
- Make a list of potential courses for the next semester you are interested in taking.
- Understand your academic planning responsibilities outlined in the Academic Advising Syllabus (PDF).
- Make sure you arrive for your appointment on time.
- Turn off your cell phone or place it on silent during your appointment.
What is a registration hold?
During their first academic year, students will have mandatory advising appointments before they can register for classes. Depending on your situation, a registration hold will be placed on your account. You will not be able to register for courses in the following semester until this hold is cleared. Please reference the types of advising registration holds listed below:
- First year students: receive two holds from the Academic Advising and Planning Center (which means the student is advised 3 times by the Academic Advising and Planning Center; orientation, semester 1, and semester 2)
- First year students who declare a major not placing holds: receive two holds from our office (which means the student is advised 3 times by the Academic Advising and Planning Center; orientation, semester 1, and semester 2)
- First year students who declare a major that places holds for advising: do not receive any holds from the Academic Advising and Planning Center and are only advised by our office during orientation. This hold will be cleared through your major academic department.
- Undeclared transfer students: receive an Academic Advising & Planning Center hold once (which means the Academic Advising and Planning Center will advise the student twice; orientation and semester 1)
- Transfer students who declare a major that places holds for advising: do not receive any holds from the Academic Advising and Planning Center and are only advised during orientation. This hold will be cleared through your major academic department.
Remember, not all registration holds are from academic departments. Some holds may be the result of past due balances or other administrative reasons. You can always check your registration status by clicking Registration Status on the Registration Tools channel located in MyCharleston on the Academic Services tab.